What feedback questions should you ask to ensure you get constructive feedback?
Within a continuous feedback cycle, employees and managers have the opportunity to share their thoughts on all aspects of the experience of work. The key to generating valuable feedback is ensuring that the right questions are asked. Whilst team members might carry particular thoughts, these may never be revealed without first inviting the individual to share. Below, you will find a list of various types of questions designed for different audiences.
We invite you to make use of these example questions to assist you in your next one-on-one or performance review. It is important to note that there are no 'right' answers, these questions should be used to encourage individuals to give their honest opinion - a genuine reflection of their experience of work. Having collected truthful responses, this provides your organization with the most accurate and beneficial information - enabling the HR team to build upon these findings and make better informed decisions to improve the organization's performance and overall company culture.
Employee Feedback Questions:
- What are my strong areas of performance?
- Which skills I should improve?
- How can I improve my soft skills?
- What skills should I develop in order to progress my career?
- How do you think I performed in this task?
- How did you find my interactions with you and the rest of the team?
- What can I do to improve the team performance?
- How can I make our team excel?
👉 Click here for 6 examples of constructive feedback for performance reviews
Manager Feedback Questions:
- What type of skills should we look for in new hires?
- Did you feel empowered from my management style through out the performance cycle?
- Did I help you build new skills?
- Was I an effective coach and mentor?
- Did you feel your goals and objectives were within your skillset to complete?
- Did you feel stretched enough throughout the performance cycle?
- Did you enjoy the tasks you completed?
- Do you feel rewarded for your contributions in the overall business agenda?
- What should I improve as a manager?
- What are my weaknesses as a manager?
Business Environment Feedback Questions:
- Did you get enough time to socialize with the rest of the team?
- How we can improve company communication with employees?
- How we can make the company a great place to work?
- Were your goals linked to business objectives?
- Was the vision and mission of the company aligned with your goals and tasks?
- How we can help employees socialize better?
- Did you feel socially engaged with the other team members?